Open letter concerning the crisis in our community of homeless people in Aylesbury and surrounding areas
We, the Labour Action Against Poverty (LAAP) group, are greatly concerned by the significant deterioration in weather conditions and the immediate impact on homeless people within our community. We are asking the following Chief Executive Officers several questions:
- Rachael Shimmin of Buckinghamshire County Council
- Karen Jones of Aylesbury Vale District Council
- Matthew Applegate of Vale of Aylesbury Housing Trust
LAAP is concerned for the health and wellbeing of people within our community and we fear that, without proper provision, many are at significant risk during this winter period. Little has been published to date and now homeless people in our communities are facing life-threatening weather conditions.
We are aware of the great work that is being done by voluntary organisations at this time of year to address the failure of proper planning. Hence, we want you to address what the provisions are over Christmas and the following winter months.
Please address these questions:
- What is your winter plan for homeless people?
- What emergency funds have you released to fund your plan?
- What are the eligibility criteria for homeless people to access your provisions?
- What have you done to ensure they have access to your provisions?
LAAP look forward to your considered response by return.
Thanking you in advance.
Labour Action Against Poverty